Situated on 14 rolling, wooded acres in Mansfield, Ohio, Foundations For Living is a secure, residential treatment center for youth 11 – 17 years of age, with a minimum IQ of 65. Our 84-bed center is accredited by CARF and licensed by the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services to provide mental health and substance abuse/dependence treatment.
”There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings.”
–Hodding Carter, Jr.
The above quotation embodies a contradiction of roots holding one down and with wings allowing one to fly.
Working with troubled youth, however, we believe children can rise to their full potential only when they are grounded in the rules of social behavior and supported by a root structure of values and attitudes that nurture self-discipline, responsibility and a sense of self-worth.
At Foundations For Living, we offer proven, pro-social programs that capitalize on the strengths of youth with emotional or behavioral problems. We have talented, dedicated professionals who inspire youth—even those who have failed in previous programs—to shed the weight and pain of their past, lift their sights to the limitless sky…and soar.
A number of key elements underlie and enhance our comprehensive services for youth with behavioral, emotional, mental and psychological problems including:
- A high level of professionalism. Our staff includes licensed psychotherapists, nurses, psychiatrists, medical doctors, and teachers.
- An individualized approach. Our staff to patient ratio meets or exceeds licensing requirements and we are able to monitor residents on a one-to-one basis, as needed. All therapeutic services are specially tailored to each youth’s needs.
- Trauma-Informed Care. All staff members are trained in recognizing youth with psychiatric trauma, experienced in a single instance or through exposure to chronic episodes. Staff members are trained on the effects of trauma on youth as well as ways to help establish a safe environment for our youth while they are in our care.
- Handle With Care. Our facility-wide certification and commitment to quality resident care enables us to use the least restrictive approach, thus mentoring a therapeutic rapport with residents. Excelling in verbal de-escalation, we are able to boost the self-image of residents and accelerate their rehabilitation. Safety and comfort are our top priorities.
- Licensed nursing care. Our youth have access to 24/7 licensed nursing care for medicinal administration, monitoring of side effects, medical education and treatment. Our nursing services promote an overall feeling of protection for our residents.
- Special incentives, activities and amenities. A well-structured Achievement Level System offering many tangible rewards motivates youth to make measurable progress. Residents have many opportunities to earn incentives for special onsite activities, off-campus outings, movie nights, popcorn parties, and so forth. To heighten residents’ self-esteem and allow them to enjoy an important experience of normal living, we maintain a fully operational beauty/barber shop with a licensed beautician. To foster outlets of creative expression, we offer classes in our Creative Arts and Music Production Studio. Youth explore art medium, learn musical instruments and explore music.
- Commitment to personal wellness. To promote physical health, healthy competition and team building, we offer a Fitness and Recreation Center. We also employ Activities Coordinators to challenge youth to succeed with health and physical goals.
- An accredited school on premises. Residents appreciate an educational environment encouraging and supporting their academic success. Our onsite school has certified teachers for all essential middle school and high school subjects. With our unique block scheduling and year-round school, students often recover credits during their treatment period. Classes are traditionally designed with live teacher instruction, smart boards, computers and small class sizes. Foundations For Living adheres to specifications of an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), and develops and updates IEPs as needed. Residents also have the ability to receive pre-GED preparation and testing to obtain a GED.